The "Breakfast Directives" under revision
Apr 28, 2023
On 21 April 2023, the European Commission published a Proposal for Directive amending four of the "Breakfast Directives". The texts under revision are Directive 2001/110 on honey, Directive 2001/112 on fruit juices and certain similar products, Directive 2001/113 on fruit jams, jellies and marmalades and sweetened chestnut purée intended and Directive 2001/114 ron partly or wholly dehydrated preserved milk.
The main amendments are as follows:
- New requirement for indicating all individual countries of originwhere the honey comes from more than one country. Single portions of honey (breakfast packs) will be exempted from the requirement.
- Reintroduction, without a time limitation, of the possibility to use the claim "with no added sugars" for fruit juices.
- A new product category of fruit juice: 'reduced-sugar fruit juice', where the naturally occurring sugars were reduced at least 30 % compared to a similar product.
- Increase in the minimum fruit content for "jam" and "jelly".
- Inclusion of a new authorised treatment for dehydrate preserved milk for the production of lactose-free dairy products.
For further information (in English), click on the Link