General Labelling Requirements
Labels or outer packaging must include the name of the importer, the manufacturer, a registration number and the description of the article. Also, the net weight and the number of items inside, together with identifying marks, expiration dates and numbers, corresponding with the shipping documents must be added.
Goods are not required to be marked with the country of origin.
The word “nacional” (national) as part of the name of the company/association or of the product, is prohibited.
Food Labelling Regulations:
- Resolución S.G. N° 0402/2018. Por el cual se aprueba el Reglamento Técnico que establece requisitos para el etiquetado de alérgenos alimentarios y sulfitos en los alimentos envasados -
- implementing requirements for the labelling of food allergens and sulphites in packaged foods
- Decreto N° 8064/2006. Disposición de la vigencia en la República del Paraguay de las Resoluciones Adoptadas por el Grupo Mercado Común del MERCOSUR Referentes al SGT3 Normas Técnicas -
- implementing the regional MERCOSUR food labelling regulations
- MERCOSUR/GMC/RES. N° 26/2003. Reglamento Técnico MERCOSUR para Rotulación de Alimentos Envasados. (Deroga la Res. GMC N° 21/02) -
- on the labelling of prepacked foods
- MERCOSUR/GMC/RES. N° 46/2003. Reglamento Técnico MERCOSUR sobre el Rotulado Nutricional de Alimentos Envasados -
- on the nutritional labelling of prepacked foods
Specific Labelling For Dietary Supplements
(i) No words, illustrations or other graphic representations which may mislead the consumer as to the nature, origin, composition, or quality of the product can be included.
(ii) Labels should be fixated in such a way that they cannot be easily removed or detached from the packaging.
(iii) The particulars shall be in Spanish, in clear, conspicuous, indelible, and easily readable characters for the consumer under normal circumstances of purchase and use.
(iv) The label must contain truthful information regarding the nature of the product and at least the following must be indicated:
- Trade name or brand name.
- Technical information:
- Qualitative and quantitative formula.
- Nutritional information.
- Conditions of use.
- Storage conditions: temperature or conditions under which the product maintains its characteristics must be stated. Contents of the primary container.
- Details of the manufacturing company: the name or company name and address of the manufacturer must be indicated. In the case of imported products, the name or company name and address of the importer of the product must be stated in addition to the above.
- Lot identification and expiry date.
- Mandatory text:
- The warnings of the above-mentioned points shall be displayed visibly, in an official and legible language.
- "This product is not for the diagnosis, treatment, or cure of any disease and is not a substitute for a balanced diet";
- Keep out of the reach of children;
- National products must bear the legend:
- "IndustriaParaguaya" or "Hecho en Paraguay", and "Elaborado en Paraguay";
- "Manufactured by or packaged by .... ";
- On the label of dietary supplements containing allergenic substances or substances that cause hypersensitivity, the warning : "May cause hypersensitivity" must be included;
- Dietary supplements containing tartrazine or FDC yellow number-five shall indicate that they contain this colouring agent and include the warning: "May cause hypersensitivity";
- Dietary supplements containing aspartame must include the warning: "Consumption of this product is not suitable for persons with Phenylketonuria";
- Dietary supplements containing nitric oxide must include the warning: "The consumption of this product is contraindicated for hypertensive persons".
- In case of pregnancy, lactation, or children, consult your doctor before consuming this product", except in those products that are specific for these cases.